If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the best beard trimmer for long beards is, then we recommend the Philips – Multigroom Series 9000 as the best one.
I often find it a chore to trim my beard, especially when the best tool I may have to hand in the mornings is a blunt razor! Beards need as much care as the hair on your head, particularly if they are long, thick or wavy. I’ve found that the best way to keep my beard tidy is to invest in a good beard trimmer. Let’s take a look at some of the products available to decide which is the best beard trimmer for long beards.
In this article, we’re going to review the following beard trimmers:
- Remington – The Beardsman
- Hatteker – 3-In-1 Beard Trimmer
- Philips – Multigroom Series 9000
- Remington – PG6025
- Hatteker – 5-In-1 Beard Trimmer
Beard Trimmer Benefits
You may be asking, why should I put down my trusty scissors? Scissors can indeed be effective but the beard trimmer comes with many more advantages, particularly for beards that are more difficult to manage. Here are some of the reasons you might want to part with the scissors and invest in a trimmer.
Scissors are great for tidying up the loose ends but beard trimmers ensure that a long beard is the same length all over. Using scissors when inexperienced at trimming beards (or hair) can be a disaster and may result in an uneven look. Try a pair of beard trimmers for a smoother finish and be the envy of your friends.
I find that beard trimmers cut a significant amount of time from my morning routine. A quick trim to tidy up any loose ends ensures that your beard will look well-groomed every day, even when you are in a rush. They certainly beat a razor in terms of speed!
Trimmers can help you to avoid that skin rash usually associated with razor shaving. For those with sensitive skin, electric trimmers may be the better option as they are less likely to cause irritation and cuts. Trimmers do not provide as close a shave as razors do therefore pose less risk of cutting or causing ingrowing hairs. Trimmers are also easy to detach and clean making them more hygienic overall.
How Best to Use Your Beard Trimmer
We all have our process when it comes to beard grooming. Some of us like to use wax; others prefer to use beard oil. Some of us prefer to shampoo their long beards; others prefer to use beard wash only. The same practice applies to trimming as everyone has a different natural beard shape. However, these tips should help anyone achieve a perfectly groomed long beard.
When using scissors, you may over-cut or under-cut, resulting in an uneven length all over. With trimmers, you can adjust the setting to the length you want and keep it at that setting each time you trim. Set your trimmer to a higher setting first. I find that this makes it easier to decide which length I want it at and prevents cutting too much off at once.
Before trimming, comb your beard in the direction of growth to show its full length. You can wet it before trimming but remember that this lengthens the hair, therefore, don’t go overboard when cutting! You can blow dry your beard after washing to keep it straight if preferred. After the initial grooming, you can get stuck into trimming.
Big tip: don’t chop off any unwanted curls or thick sections. This can lead to a patchy appearance. Try to work with them where you can.
Start by choosing your preferred trimmer guard attachment. Ensure that the front of the trimmer unit is facing away from you and tilt your head upwards. Follow the jawline when trimming. Keep trimming towards the ear and upper beard line. I prefer to trim with the direction of beard growth but some prefer to trim against. Styling will take less time if you get the initial trim right.
Common areas to tidy up after the initial trim include sideburns, under the chin and the cheeks. To shape your beard, use a styling comb from your beard trimmer kit and, holding the shorter hairs in place, trim away the excess. You may want to change the setting on the trimmer for areas with shorter hair. Hold the trimmer away from you and shave using a downwards motion, following the jawline.
As you can see, your beard trimmer is an essential part of the beard grooming process. In addition to the above steps, this helpful tutorial is particularly useful for maintaining the shape of your long beard. Before you begin shopping for trimmers, check out our reviews below to find out which is the best beard trimmer for long beards.
The Top 5 Best Beard trimmers For Long Beards
Remington The Beardsman comes complete with a full grooming kit for gents who look for precision beard trimming. Take a look at some of the pros and cons of this trimmer.
- It comes with an extra-large trimming comb making it the ideal choice of trimmer for longer beards. I often find beard trimmers focus on catering for short to medium beard lengths.
- It comes with two smaller combs to tackle those sideburns and shorter hair areas.
- Zoom wheel locks into the setting of your choice ensuring you have an even shave.
- It comes with 18 length settings allowing for more variety in beard length.
- Precision detail trimmer allows for a close shave of shorter areas like sideburns or your mustache.
- The 18 length settings might be too many for some users, particularly those with longer beards. It may be difficult to remember which setting you have been using.
- Could be more combs included allowing for adaptability; only 3 to choose from. Fine if you intend on keeping a long beard indefinitely, not so good if the long beard is an experiment!
- A lengthy 4 hours of charging gives it 120 minutes of performance. Not ideal for those on the move a lot.
An extra-large comb makes this the perfect beard trimmer for long-term maintenance of lengthier beards. Could have a wider selection of combs.
This trimmer comes complete with a wide range of comb sizes and is able to perform 3 functions: hair clipping, beard trimming, and detail trimming.
- Multi-functional and can be used to trim your beard, shave your hair or to cut detail into your beard or hair.
- Comes with 6 guide combs ranging from 3mm to 24mm. This is great if I want to change the length of my beard more frequently.
- Waterproof and cordless so easy for you to have a quick shave in the bathroom in the mornings without worrying about dropping it in a sink full of water! You can even shave in the shower if you have a mirror nearby.
- Cordless quick charge means that it is a fantastic trimmer for those who frequently travel. It also gives 2.5 hours of battery life after only a 90-minute charge.
- The self-sharpening blade prevents cutting and irritation.
- Comb sizes are more suitable for short to medium-length beards.
- The wide array of combs might be confusing when trying to figure out which is best for your beard length.
- No guard for 1mm to 3mm shave only has a dial to twist which has given a much closer shave than anticipated.
Fantastic range of uses and lots of attachments included but better range for those with short to medium beards.
The sophisticated Phillips Multigroom all in one trimmer comes with a kit of 23 pieces for all grooming needs. Let’s see what’s best and what’s not about this trimmer.
- Multi-functional allowing for beard trimming, precision trimming, close shaving and nose, and ear trimming.
- The extra-wide design allows for a tidier finish and can also be used to cut hair.
- Cutting guards are reinforced with fiberglass material preventing uneven shaving caused by the bending of the guards.
- Blades are self-sharpening and can last up to 5 years making this a durable trimming option.
- Foil shaver and Dual Cut precision trimmer make for an exceptionally clean shave.
- Beard combs are long enough to tackle longer facial hair and one charge gives up to 5 hours of power.
- More expensive than the other models, most likely due to the extensive range of attachments in the kit.
- Not always clear which comb is which length as they are not all labeled. Could lead to an uneven shave.
- Continuous removal of guards to change sizes is time-consuming compared to moving a dial around like in older models.
Great all-rounder covering a range of beard lengths and shapes with a variety of guards. It also has durability on its side making it an investment.
This all-in-one trimmer can be used with or without a comb depending on your preference. Here are the pros and cons of the unit.
- Extremely affordable trimmer considering it comes with 8 pieces of kit.
- Comes with attachments to tidy up head, nose and ear hair giving you a cleaner finish.
- Adjustable hair comb gives up to 8 lengths meaning you can avoid that trip to the barbers for longer.
- Trimmer combs come in sizes 3mm, 6mm and 9mm making it great for shorter beards.
- The comb attachments are shorter making them better for use with shorter beards.
- The battery life of 70 minutes per charge is relatively short compared to other models and brands. Also, not great if you regularly want to shave hair and other areas after trimming your beard.
- Plastic beard combs don’t appear to be very durable compared to the sturdier versions found in other trimmers.
Affordable trimmer ideal for a quick shave of a shorter beard. Perhaps not as durable as other trimmers.
This multifunctional beard trimmer takes care of all shaving needs. Take a look at the good and the not-so-good bits.
- Extremely affordable for the range of functions it has. A staple piece in the grooming kit for all over shaving needs.
- The range of functions includes: hair trimmer, beard trimmer, precision trimmer, body groomer, and nose and ear trimmer.
- Adjustable beard comb with a range between 3mm and 6mm and 4 extra combs of sizes up to 15mm. Great for men who like a good selection to choose from.
- Slide switch for precision cutting ranges from 0.8mm to 1.8mm taking care of the shorter areas.
- The longest beard comb only reaches 15mm. May not suit longer, bushier beards.
- It comes with various attachments but not a brush or scissors for longer beards.
- The 1.5 hours charging time gives around 20 shaves. May need to change frequently if using for an all-over body shave. Not ideal for those who are always on the go.
If you prefer a close, all-over shave, you will love this unit. Its ability to perform various functions makes it extremely great value for money. It may be best for men who prefer a clean-shaven look.
I found that the best beard trimmer for long beards is… the Philips – Multigroom Series 9000!
This multi-functional Philips trimmer has the benefit of a range of guards and extra-long battery life for short charging time. This is ideal for regular maintenance of a long beard. Although it is a little more expensive, this trimmer more than makes up for it in attachments. The attachments take care of trimming the beard, styling, trimming your hair and also removing body hair. You can even use the hair attachments for your beard if it is extra-long.
The precision detail element is fantastic to take care of the tidy up and loose ends like nose hair, chin hair, and sideburns. The fiberglass materials on the guards make it extra durable compared to other models. The attachments make it easier to clean too. Should you choose to say goodbye to your big, luxurious beard, you can continue to get the best out of this trimmer. Overall, it is a fantastic addition to my grooming kit!
I hope you enjoy my beard trimmer recommendation and wish you the best of luck in your grooming journey!