When I was younger, I would always look at bearded men in the streets and on TV and wish I could look like them. I always had a thing for beards and could not wait to grow my own. But when I finally started my beard journey, it was not what I expected. I found growing a beard to be the most challenging thing until I learned how to use beard products. Beard oil for once changed my life!
What is Beard Oil?
Beard oil is a cosmetic product designed for men. It is used to nourish the skin that is beneath the beard and the beard itself. Using beard oil helps your beard hair maintain softness, and look shiny and smooth. This cosmetic product for men is designed in such a way that it mimics the natural oils that are produced by the skin, the likes of sebum. To achieve this, manufacturers use carrier oils and essential oils as the main beard oil ingredients.
Benefits of Using Beard Oil
Beard oil has numerous benefits to the skin and beard hair. Below are a few of these advantages:
Helps with moisture retention
One of the main reasons why most people find it hard to grow a beard is that it gets to a point where it feels like a pad of dry hair. The dryness results in itchiness and a dirty look. Beard oil helps to retain the moisture content in the beard. By doing so, it also helps to retain the minerals in the beard hair. This makes the hair look soft and become easier to maintain. Like a moisturizer, beard oil goes straight into the facial hair follicles and keeps the hair from becoming brittle. It also prevents dryness, flaking, dandruff, and itchiness.
Helps to lessen the struggles of maintenance
Maintaining a beard and getting it to look like the image you see on TV is quite the task. I learned it the hard way! One of the toughest parts about maintenance is getting the hair to look sharp, neat, and attractive. Without proper maintenance, the best you can get is a dirty and plain look. Beard oil works perfectly as a grooming tool. It makes the beard more manageable, neat, and smooth.
It is a cleaning tool
Beard oil helps to remove debris and unwanted buildup of dirt from the beard. It also prevents the beard from tangling hence making it easier to groom. However, this does not mean that you can do away with your regular beard shampoo.
Improves the appearance of the beard
Another benefit of beard oil is the fact that it helps to improve the appearance of your beard. It does so by giving it a shine and making it look healthier and more attractive. Beard oil alone will not make your beard look good, You must also give it extra care and groom it regularly. I have composed a guide that will make it easier.
Buying Beard Oil Vs. Making Your Own
Several companies in the cosmetics industry have come up with their versions of beard oil. One of the main benefits of getting such products from a store is that you do not have to worry about the process of making them. All you have to do is look at the ingredient list on the bottle to see if it suits your needs. Some people do not even care about the ingredient list; all that matters is the fact that the customer reviews on the product are positive, and it is one of the best-selling in the market. Many beard grooming kits come with beard oil as well as all the components you need to care for your beard. I have decided to review some of these sets and I created a list of the best beard grooming kits.
However, if you decide on getting a product like beard oil, you do not just want what the market has to offer. You want a product that will hydrate your skin, nourish your beard, protect your hair from dryness, itchiness, flaking, and tames it as well. You also want a product that will give you visible results. This is where homemade beard oil comes in. Not to say that you won’t find such a product on the market! The market is packed with amazing products that will give you the results you are looking for. The choice of whether to make or buy beard oil depends on how comfortable you are with either.
Making your beard oil gives you the freedom to choose the best ingredients in the market, depending on their benefits. You also get to explore with fragrances, essential oils, and other ingredients. It also does not hurt to see your beard transform into your dream beard and know that it is all your doing. It is, however, very tasking because you not only have to get the ingredients, but you also need to know how to measure them in the right proportions. Therefore, before you decide to manufacture beard oil at the comfort of your home, you need to be educated about the ingredients, proportions, benefits, and the process in general. But you do not have to worry; it quite easy and anyone can do it. Additionally, you will find that making beard oil is less costly than purchasing one from a store.
How to Make Beard Oil
If you decide to manufacture your own beard oil in your house, the first thing you need to do is get the ingredients. Stores like Amazon are a great option if you are looking for the best ingredients.
Ingredients for Making Beard Oil
1. Essential Oils
The first set of ingredients you will need is essential oils. Below are some of the best beard oil essential oils in the market:
- Cedarwood- This product is perfect when it comes to getting rid of acne and dandruff. It is also packed with a spicy and woodsy aroma that would be attractive in beard oil.
- Cinnamon- This essential oil helps to get rid of stress and adds a spicy fragrance.
- Spruce- This essential oil adds a foresty masculine scent to the product. It is also androgenic.
- Cypress- This helps to fight acne and has a woodsy, masculine scent.
- Lavender- This is one of the most popular types of essential oils in the market. It has numerous medicinal elements like acne and fungal infection prevention. It also has an uplifting and unique aroma.
- Rosemary- Rosemary essential oil helps to fight acne and fungal skin infection. It also improves blood circulation and relieves itchiness.
- Sandalwood- This is a cooling, soothing, exotic, and spicy essential Oil with a woodsy aroma. It helps to fight conditions like pimples, dryness, and frizzing of the beard.
- Lemongrass- The main role of this essential oil is the prevention of dandruff and acne, among other skin conditions. It is the best product if you are one who suffers from excess sweat.
Keep away from tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil. This is because they have weird scents and work like hormone disruptors; hence will do you more harm than good. Be sure you have the best quality essential oils.
2. Carrier Oils
Another set of ingredients you will need is carrier oils. Below are some incredible choices:
- Coconut Oil- This carrier oil is an antifungal and anti-inflammatory ingredient.
- Olive Oil- This essential oil is rich in linoleic, which helps to fight acne and other blemishes.
- Castor Oil– This is a natural moisturizer and does not affect the functioning of hormones.
- Jojoba Oil– This one mimics the composition of natural sebum; hence is an incredible beard oil ingredient.
Like with essential oils, make sure to get the best quality carrier oils for the best results.
Now that you have the essential ingredients, you need tools to put these ingredients together. Below are some must-have tools for making beard oil:
- Dropper- The role of a dropper is to assist with the measurement of essential oils out of their bottles and into a mixing bowl. Make sure to get different droppers for different products.
- Mixing bowl- This is where you will mix all the oils. The best choice would be a glass or a ceramic bowl. Avoid plastic or metal because it can affect the outcome of the beard oil recipe.
- Glass bottles- Make sure to get a glass bottle for each beard oil recipe you wish to try. The bottle has to be made of tinted glass that will protect the oils from direct sunlight and oxidation. Also, be sure to store the oils in a cool and dark place.
- Mask and Gloves- Essential oils, in their pure concentrated form, can burn your skin. Therefore, you will need a pair of rubber or plastic gloves to protect yourself. Also, these oils are packed with very strong fragrances that could cause dizziness, headaches, or fainting spells. Therefore, a mask would come in handy.
- Measuring cup or shot glass- You need this to measure the amounts of ingredients and the resulting products.
- Small funnel- This is not a must-have but would come in handy as a measuring tool.
The Process of Making Beard Oil
Once you have all the ingredients and tools, you are now ready to start trying out different recipes. From the list of ingredients, you might be fooled into thinking that the making process is hard. However, it is one of the easiest and is 100% doable. Below is a step by step guide on how you can work on manufacturing your own beard oil in the comfort of your house:
- Pour the carrier oils you have selected inside a measuring cup or mixing bowl (depending on your recipe)
- Add a few drops of your chosen essential oils into the same cup (also depending on your recipe)
- Use the funnel to pour the resulting product inside the chosen glass bottle
- Close the bottle and make sure to give it a proper shake
It is as easy as that! All you need is to have a recipe beforehand, and it will take you no more than a few minutes to complete the process.
what you Need to Know about Carrier oils and essential oils
We use essential oils in beard oil because of their medicinal value. The different types of essential oils all have different beneficial elements. For instance, cedarwood helps to relieve acne and dandruff, and lavender oil helps to relieve cuts, acne, and fungal infections. Essential oils are also responsible for the scent or aroma of the beard oil. Additionally, they are moisturizers and have nourishing and strengthening elements as well.
On the other hand, the main role of carrier oils is to act as a vehicle of transportation for the essential oils into the roots of your beard hair. Essential oils are also quite strong and highly concentrated. Therefore, carrier oils act as a base. Additionally, different carrier oils have varying medicinal values. For instance, coconut oil and olive oil act as antifungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory agents as well as acne and blemish relievers respectively.
List of Beard Oil Recipes
1. Green Man Jojoba Beard Oil Recipe
For this recipe, you will need;
- 1 oz. of jojoba oil
- 5 droplets of cedarwood oil
- 2 droplets of vanilla oil
- A single droplet of clove oil
- A single droplet of rosemary oil
- A single droplet of orange essential Oil
All you need to do is add half a tablespoon of jojoba oil to a 1oz dropper bottle. Proceed to add the other essential oils as listed above and fill the top with some more jojoba oil. Close the bottle and shake it thoroughly for a minute to make sure the ingredients are evenly distributed.
2. The Good for Dandruff Beard Oil Recipe
For this one, you will need:
- ½ oz. of virgin coconut oil
- ½ oz. of jojoba oil
- Four drops of lemongrass essential oil
- Two droplets of peppermint essential oil
You will need to add coconut oil into a mixing bowl and warm it using a bowl that is filled with warm water until it melts. Add the other carrier oils as listed above into the bowl with the melted coconut oil. Use the small funnel or the dropper to pour the product into the selected glass bottle. Cap the dark glass bottle and shake it for a minute. At the end of this recipe, you will end up having a fabulous coconut oil beard!
3. The Clean and Fresh Beard Oil Recipe
For this recipe, you will need:
• 1 oz. of extra virgin coconut oil
• ¼ oz. of Moroccan argan oil
• Four droplets of tea tree essential oil
• Two droplets of rosemary essential oil
To prepare this recipe, you need a slightly larger than 1 oz. bottle. Into the bottle, add ¼ oz. of argan oil first, followed by 1 oz. of coconut oil. Proceed to add the two droplets of rosemary and four drops of tea tree. Cap the bottle and shake it well for a minute.
4. The Beard Oil for an Itchy beard
For this recipe, you need:
- ½ oz. of meadowfoam seed oil
- ½ oz. of virgin coconut oil
- Five drips of wheat germ oil
- Five drips of orange essential oil
Begin by measuring the carrier oils with the aid of a measuring cup. Add the specified amount of droplets of vitamin E oil and five drops of orange essential oil. Pour the resulting products into a small glass bottle of the characteristics discussed earlier and shake well for the ingredients to distribute evenly.
5. The Stimulator Beard Oil Recipe
For this recipe, you need:
- ½ oz. of castor oil
- ½ oz. of jojoba oil
- A small pinch of carnitine powder
- Four drips of balsam fir needle oil
- Four drips of spruce essential oil
Start by mixing the carrier oils inside a tiny measuring cup. Proceed to add the carnitine powder, then the other essential oils. Pour the product into the ideal glass bottle and cap it. Shake it well before storage.
To finish off…
Making DIY beard oil at home can become a hobby because it is simple and not expensive. It is something that you can turn into a business in the long run. The recipes are also quite simple that you can master them with a single read. The more recipes you try, the better you will understand what your beard needs. Hopefully, now you know how to make your own beard oil.