If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the best electric shaver for black men is, then we recommend the Braun Series 7 7893s as the best one.
Different types of hair require different types of shavers. Black men have hair that is unique from others hence the need for shavers uniquely designed for it. This is because they have hair that is often denser and thicker when compared to that of other races, and this makes it a challenge to shave. Using inappropriate shavers, therefore, will cause problems such as rashes and irritation when cropping.
In this article, we’re going to review the following shavers for black men:
- Braun Series 7 7893s
- Braun Series 5 5145S
- Panasonic Arc4 ES-LA93-K
- Panasonic ARC5 ES-LV95-S
- Phillips Norelco Electric Shaver 9700
Here are the factors that you should consider before picking a shaver:
Choose a shaver that cuts curly and flat-lying hair
When buying an electric shaver, black men should go for that which has a sharper blade for a close shave. When a shaver is sharp, it can cut the low-lying curly hair without causing any irritation. Usual shavers that are less sharp cannot reduce the flat-lying hair, and this allows it to penetrate the skin and cause irritation. If you have sensitive skin, a sharper shaver will ensure that you heal quickly after a shave.
It should have a fast motor
When shopping for an ideal shaver, it is necessary to choose those with a brisk motor. If it is rapid, it leads to pulling and tagging of the hair when shaving and this can be uncomfortable for anyone. The irritation and uneasiness result from the slow motors and dull blades that are unable to deliver a smooth shave. After buying a shaver with a fast motor and sharp blade, you still have to change the foils and blades regularly for a smooth shave.
Consider going for an electric shaver that will not shave close to the skin
If you choose a shaver that shaves close to your skin, there is a high risk of experiencing irritation . Many black men have sensitive skin hence the need for them to choose an electric shaver that doesn’t shave too close. If you have developed ingrown hair, it is advisable to use a razor that shaves far from the skin surface to avoid razor bumps. For most black men, shaving close to the skin often causes ingrown hair growth as the hair digs back.
Advantages of using electric shavers for black men
Electronic shavers are different from manual ones, and they come with numerous benefits. Some of the advantages of using an electric shaver for black men are:
It guarantees a smooth shave
One of the challenges that comes with using the traditional manual shaver is that a smooth shave is not guaranteed. Purchasing an electric shaver offers you the opportunity to enjoy a smooth shave and avoid the issues related to using manual shavers. All electric shavers have a double-action feature that offers black men a satisfying and pleasant shave.
You do away with the risk of cuts and abrasions
When using an ordinary shaver, you are likely to experience wounds and scrapes that can be uncomfortable. Some cuts can be profound, this leads to bleeding and pain. I used to experience cuts when using a manual shaver, and I know that nobody will enjoy the experience. It makes shaving a problematic exercise for men, something that should be history thanks to electric shavers. They offer a smooth, clean shave free of cuts and abrasions.
Another aspect of using a manual shaver is the need for water and foam. When shaving with an electric shaver, you do not need to use foam and water to reduce friction. Electric shavers use blades that are in a circular movement to cut your hair conveniently without causing any harm to the skin.
On top of that, electric shavers are highly portable. You can charge and carry them wherever you want to go without any problem. Most electric shavers come with a travel bag that you can use to move them around and maintain personal hygiene whenever you want.
How to differentiate electric shavers
If you want to purchase an electric shaver but do not know the difference between the many brands in the market, here is a guide for you:
Manual cleaning vs. self-cleaning shavers:
The various electric shavers available in the market offer either a manual cleaning option or a self-cleaning option. You should choose a model with the self-cleaning feature because you will not need to spend time cleaning it after use.
Dry vs. wet shavers:
Depending on the model you choose to buy, you can have an electric shaver that offers a dry shave only or both dry and wet shaving. Waterproof electric shavers are ideal since they allow you to enjoy either a wet or a dry shave. They also provide ease of maintenance.
Foil vs. Rotary shavers:
Electric shavers are available in two main categories: foil & rotary shavers. You should pick either based on your intended purpose. Foil shavers use mesh-like metal strips while the rotary shavers use rotating blades.
Our detailed list of the top 5 best electric shavers for black men
Many people prefer Braun shaving products because of their brand superiority. This shaver, for instance, boasts premium features that make your shaving a seamless activity. When buying this brand, you get a cleaning solution, a premium travel case, a charging base, a charging cable, and the shaving unit. You also get five unique shaving features and OptiFoil cutters that come in handy when trimming your facial hair.
- It is waterproof, which means that you can use it conveniently for both dry and wet shaving
- Features an ActiveGuard to prevent it from shaving very close to your skin while ensuring you get the desired shave.
- The shaver comes with an LED screen and alerts you when the power is almost going off or when the remaining usage time is 9 minutes.
- You can dry the shaver with the help of the charging base.
- Gives you a smooth shave
- It is waterproof hence ideal for wet and dry shaving.
- Relatively expensive
This is one of the best razors for black males. The manufacturer is known for high-quality shaving products, and this does not disappoint. It uses Aquatec technology, making it possible for men to use gel when shaving. Designed with a dual precision head that comes fitted with slots and holes, the shaver can be used to cut both short and long hair.
- It features a fast charge with a 3-minute charge capable of giving you a cordless shave.
- Ideal for use on dry skin, although you may need to replace its shaving head yearly.
- The dual-blade action enables it to deliver a smooth shave.
- It comes fitted with an LED screen with a battery indicator to show whether it is low or full.
- It has a slick design that makes it fully washable for easy cleaning.
- Can be used for both wet and dry shaving
- It is easy to wash and clean
- Gives a smooth shave close to the skin
- You might find it tricky to align the plastic retaining trim if you are not used to it
This is another standard electric shaver from Panasonic and is one of the company’s best-selling products. The package comes with a travel pouch, a charging and cleaning base, a shaving unit, a charger, and a cleaning solution.
- It comes with a single Activelift trimmer with dual OptiFoil blades.
- Has a multidirectional head with the capacity to move in 8 different directions
- The shaver is waterproof hence convenient for both dry and wet shaves
- Features an LCD to indicate the battery status
- Designed with 5 different shaving modes; from sensitive to intense
- Can be used for both wet and dry shaving
- Five shaving modes to allow you to choose what is most convenient for you
- Capable of a quick clean shave
- Designed with an ergonomic grip to prevent it from slipping off when shaving
- You cannot charge it directly; you have to charge the charging base and use it to charge the shaving unit.
The entry of Panasonic into the electric shavers has not disappointed so far. Although it may not be a go-to brand for electric shaver users, this model does not disappoint. The package includes a travel case, a cleaning and charging base, a charging cable, a plastic head protector, and a cleaning solution.
- Designed to use five unique cutting elements with each blade angled at 30 degrees.
- It comes fitted with a fast motor with the capacity to deliver about 14,000 cuts a minute.
- Has an inbuilt sensor that can adjust based on power needs to shave stubborn hair strands.
- Can be used as a pop-up trimmer and for trimming sideburns
- The LCD indicator can accurately display the remaining charge to allow you to recharge when necessary.
- It has five unique blades that give a close and smooth shave
- Its fast electric motor makes it ideal for speedier shaving since it can achieve 14,000 cuts per minute
- Supports automatic cleaning to keep the unit clean and disinfected
- The charging base automatically dries the shaver saving you time
- It is quite expensive
This electric shaver is ideal for black men and can be described as the most advanced model. Once you buy it, you receive a package that includes a smart click brush, a cleaning and charging base, a trimmer, a charging power cable, a cleaning solution, and of course the shaving unit. The accesories make this the best beard trimmer for black man as well as a shaver!
- It has an LCD screen to indicate the battery’s power level.
- The LCD also shows when the travel lock mode is on and displays the blade health levels.
- Its cleaning and charging base uses an alcohol-based solution to sterilize and disinfect the blades.
- It features fast charging technology to save you time
- It comes with Smart Clean Pro cleaning system that automatically conducts the aftershave cleaning. As such, you do not need to perform manual cleaning.
- Features beautiful finishes that give the user a firm grip while shaving
- Acquiring the shaver can be quite costly
Many black men admit that finding the best electric shaver for their sensitive skin is a challenge. The list above is a review of the top electric shavers in the market that are designed for the unique shaving needs of black men. With a proper analysis of each model, it can be easy for you to find a shaver that will work best for you. A good electric shaver should be able to deliver a smooth shave free of any irritation.
In my opinion, Braun Series 7 is the clear winner here. It boasts the ActiveGuard technology allowing you to achieve an extremely close shave without irritating your skin. Braun creates some of the most reliable and efficient shavers on the market, which essentially removes any risk from purchasing this foil shaver.